Sunday 27 April 2014

Ancillary Text Front Cover #1


Initially, I had planned on creating a collage of other images to create something which ran in the style of Radiohead’s Hail to the Thief artwork, yet this would be very hard to get right. The idea felt a little far-fetched and time consuming for a concept which did not greatly apply to the themes of Exit Music (For a Film), or OK Computer for that matter. Following this, I decided that the ancillary text for this would be more suited to recreate an EP (extended play/single) of Exit Music for a Film rather than making an alternative cover for the album which it features on.

Through my photography interests, I decided that getting an original image for this would be a lot more eye-catching and interesting to do. This meant that I had to base the image on something that would apply to the themes of the song and the tone that it is played in. As the song is very gradual and builds up to an ending, a river seemed like a good idea. This also works with how peaceful the song is for most of the duration. Once I had set out to get the photos taken, there was too much light as it was mildly sunny outside. The outcome of this was that it appeared to be the artwork of an electro-house artist or a band with positive ideologies (which Radiohead certainly aren’t). This meant that the image had to be taken on an evening where there was slightly less natural light.


Once the images had been collected, I proceeded to edit them on Adobe Photoshop, although websites such as ‘dafont’ and the Microsoft Paint app were also put to use.  The process of creating the first copy of my front cover is shown on a previous blog post which explains the steps that I took to creating the cover. I found that creating this was fairly easy due to my knowledge of these programmes from studying Photography last year. I also had ideas of covers to use as I have always found artwork of releases an interesting choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment